Kunu Zaki is a refreshing, traditional Nigerian beverage that is popular throughout West Africa. Made from a blend of grains, nuts, and spices, it is a nutritious drink that is often served at social gatherings and ceremonies. In this article, we will discuss the ingredients and equipment needed to make Kunu Zaki, and we will provide you with step-by-step instructions on how to prepare this delicious drink.
Read also: How to Prepare Zobo Drink
Recipe for Kunu Zaki Drink
- 2 cups of millet
- 1 cup of peanuts
- 1 tablespoon of ginger powder
- 1 tablespoon of cloves
- 1 tablespoon of black pepper
- Sugar to taste
- Large bowl
- Large pot
- Wash the millet and peanuts and soak them in water for at least 4 hours. Drain and rinse the grains and nuts afterwards.
- In a blender, grind the millet and peanuts with a little water, until a smooth paste is formed.
- Pour the paste into a large bowl, and add more water to it. Mix it well with a spoon, and let it sit for about 15 minutes.
- Use a sieve to strain the mixture, separating the liquid from the solid residue.
- Pour the liquid into a large pot, and place it on medium heat.
- Add ginger powder, cloves, and black pepper to the pot, and stir the mixture continuously for about 20 minutes.
- Add sugar to taste and continue stirring for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and let the mixture cool down to room temperature.
- Pour the mixture into a container and chill it in the refrigerator before serving.
Serving and Storage:
Kunu Zaki can be served cold, and it goes well with any meal. It is also a great beverage to serve at social gatherings and ceremonies. It can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Read also: The Ultimate Guide to Making Delicious Egusi Soup: A Classic Nigerian Dish
Kunu Zaki can be made with different grains and nuts, and the spices can be adjusted to suit your taste. Some people add evaporated milk to it for a creamier taste, and others add fruit for a sweeter taste.
Kunu Zaki is a delicious, nutritious beverage that is easy to make at home. With the right ingredients and equipment, you can make this refreshing drink and enjoy it with your family and friends. It is a great way to connect with West African culture and experience the flavors of Nigeria. So go ahead and try making Kunu Zaki, and share your experience with us!